How to Repair a Broken Garage Door Spring?
March 16, 2022 Smart Appliances 0 Comments
Garage door springs can break for various reasons, including rust, excess wear and tear, or improper installation. When these things happen, the garage door will not open and will usually hang down limply. If you can identify that your garage door spring is broken, you can generally repair it yourself. This article will guide you on how to do just that.
- Locate the broken garage door spring. The springs are usually located on the front or back of the door, between the door and the frame. There will be one on each side of the door.
- Disengage the opener. If you have an automatic garage door opener, you will need to disengage it before you can work on the springs. This can usually be done by pulling down on a series of small levers or buttons near the opener.
- Remove the screws that hold the spring in place. There will be two or three screws that hold each spring in place. Once they are removed, the spring can be gently pulled out of its respective groove.
- Clip the end of the new spring onto the opener pulley. The new spring should come with a clasp or clip attached to the opener pulley. It is imperative to ensure that this clasp is adequately attached, as it will provide tension for the new spring.
- Insert one end of the new spring into its corresponding groove. The spring should easily fit into the groove, and there is no need to force it.
- Attach the screws that hold the spring in place. Ensure that the screws are tight, as they will provide tension for the new spring.
- Reconnect the opener. Once the new spring is in place, you can reconnect the opener by reversing the steps you took to disconnect it.
Garage door springs are usually under a lot of tension and can be dangerous if not handled properly. In case your garage door spring breaks, it’s essential to know how to repair it. In this blog post, we walked you through the steps involved in repairing a broken garage door spring in Virginia Beach. Thank you for reading this article!